Thursday, November 18, 2021

bird's of a feather flock together!


Marie Mayhew's Woolly Bird Ornaments
woolly bird ornaments

I'm getting in the holiday mood early this year, for me that is. Usually I am making ornaments and knitted orders for others, but this year I am having a bit of fun playing with new ideas for selling the finished product. 

blue bird ornament
You really haven't heard much from me this year, it's been a slow year 2021, not a lot of creating unfortunately. It happens. Its part of the creative process, or so 'they' say. But the winds are shifting. Something is stirring and I'm starting to play again. I have a new motto: I'm showing up to play and I'm going to play hard! Interesting, huh? I think so too.

The birds on this page are three of these new ideas. I have taken the Woolly Birds pattern and knit the birds using fingering weight yarn and size 5 double point needles. Same pattern but different results: an ornament size. I have sold my bird ornaments for several years now. The Woolly Birds pattern gives instructions on how to turn the one bird-like shape (round and chubby) into a worsted weight yarn size Robin, Cardinal and a Chickadee. It's all in the embellishing with a little needle felting and simple embroidery.

Marie Mayhew's woolly birds ornaments
oriole bird ornament
But this holiday season I have added three more birds to my bird collection: an Oriole, a Goldfinch (above), and a Blue Bird. I just love them! These bird ornaments are only available through my Etsy store sold as 2-inch wide by high ornaments. My pattern, Woolly Birds, is also available in both PDF and booklet format.
Marie Mayhew's woolly bird Oriole ornament
goldfinch bird ornament
I have an old fashioned fir tree on a black metal stand in my kitchen. I decorate it with these little birds as well as glass acorns and glittery silver pinecones. I don't take it down until almost Spring!

Each bird is knit and felted in my washing machine, and then stuffed with wool stuffing to hold its shape from year-to-year. Each bird is then embellished individually with a touch of needle felting, embroidered feather stitch on the wings and a smidge of wool appliqué, if needed. They're not exact but they sure give the essence of these birds in the wild.

Each bird comes in its own cello bag, sitting in a nest of raffia, signed and dated by me, and finally, tied with a black silk ribbon bow. Ready for quick and easy gift giving! A perfect hostess gift this holiday season!

Come by my store and check out my Woolly Birds Collection. Let me know what you think!

Happy knitting!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Love to hear your comments.