Friday, March 21, 2014

part 3: how to stuff a woolly egg

woolly stuffing
Another 'egg-stra' special tip I have come to like to do once the egg is boiled (felted) to perfection is in the stuffing. I stuff my sport and DK weight eggs especially with Woolly Stuffing. Wool stuffing aids in stabilizing the egg's shape. After the egg is stuffed, I re-wet it (stuffing and all), so it's completely saturated. Then I squeeze out the excess water and reshape the egg like you would a piece of clay, molding it into a perfect egg shape and allow it to dry completely in this position.

Wool stuffing like wool yarns has memory to it, so once it dries in a desired shape, it stays that way with the emphasis on 'stays'. You have to love a trained piece of yarn!

The larger-size eggs I still use polyester fiberfill to fill the eggs mainly because of the size. It would take a great deal of woolly stuffing to fill a dozen larger-size eggs, so economically, the fiberfill is a cheaper fill. If your eggs stuffed with fiberfill lose their shape, they too can be saturated with water and reshaped year after year.

Happy knitting!

2 comments:

  1. Just popping in to let you know that I have my own "Woolly Eggs" sitting out for Easter and I love them even more than I did last year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your beautiful eggs floating around Pinterest, Pam! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! Love to hear your comments.